Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Games, books, music, and everything fun...

   So as I look over my last few blog posts, I realize I am still not writing exactly what I want.  The post about Marc was just want I wanted to say.  Again I could have written so much more and I DO look forward to telling more stories.  But one of the biggest thing I am missing is what I am playing/reading/listening to.  Without that I just feel like I am missing a big chunk of what I am doing when I am relaxing.  Because of all of this I want to start out with Games Played, Books Read/Listened, Music on my Mind, etc.  So at least once a week I will just talking about what I have played lately.
   To start with I got to play a new game on Thursday.  Thank you Tim for bringing it in.  Revolution! along with the expansion Revolution! The Palace is a quick bidding game. You have a little screen in front of a card with 16 different "jobs" on it, like General, or Priest, or Spy.  You bid either gold, force or blackmail so that you can place cubes in areas of the board that correspond to buildings like the Tavern, the Cathedral, the Harbor, and others along with the expansion the Palace.  For a better idea of the game you can check here or you can always check boardgamegeek to get a fan based idea how it plays.  By adding the expansion we got to play with 6 players.  This led to a LOT of tied bids and if you tie, no one wins that particular job/reward/location.  It was a lot of fun as there is a nice reveal at the end of each bidding phase where you pulled aside your screen and everyone can see who won which jobs.  I would definitely recommend this game to anyone as a quick filler game or a party game for non gamers.  The bid system really makes it feel like a party kind of game.
   As for books, I very rarely have time to read any more.  The time to lay on the couch and just spending a few hours reading is a rare commodity.  So I spend most of my book time listening to audio books from audible.  The link included will get you a free audiobook.  Even after that 14.95 a month for a new audiobook is a great price.  The last book I listened to was Jim Henson's biography.  It reminded me of everything I enjoyed about The Muppets, Fraggle Rock, Sesame Street, and Emmet Otter's Jug Band Christmas.  There are so many thing I remembered that I enjoyed that came directly from the mind of Jim Henson.  The world really is a poorer place because he is gone.  I don't often listen to non-fiction book, much preferring science fiction, fantasy, and detective novels, but because it was about Jim Henson and The Muppets, I had that book pre-ordered for months.  Harry Bosch and Jack Reacher are two of my favorite series.
   Music is a BUNCH harder to describe what I like.  About the only thing off limits for me is country music, which causes other trouble since that is my wife's favorite.  There are even a few country artists I like though...Brad Paisley, Dixie Chicks to name the big two.  Besides that I like funny or story music best.  It is why The Final Cut is my favorite Floyd album.  Right now the album I am listening to over and over is The Muppets: The Green Album.  It is a remake of a lot of the muppet classics redone by alternative artists.  Halfway down the stairs is what I am listening to first every time, although Mr Bassman is a close second.  Besides Muppet music, Jonathan Coulton, Garfunkle and Oats, The Lonely Island, Lily Allen, and The Flight of the Conchords are some of my favorites.  Most are dirty or strange, or funny or all of the above.
   Well those are the big three, gaming, music, and books.  Of course movies should be in that list too, but we will have to talk about those another time.  This is at least a part of what I have been wanting to talk about.  I actually wrote a different blog over the last couple days, and put it to the side, just so I could write this about the games I am playing.  Don't worry, the other blog post about miniature assembly will be up in a couple days.  I just wanted to write about the gaming I am doing now, and get the other stuff in over time as well.

Hope you are having a good day and are enjoying the read.  Speaking of which, I know mostly it is just my friends reading this, and if you have any good stories about Marc, or in general stories about music or gaming you like, please leave a comment and let me know.

Until next time!!

No comments:

Post a Comment