Monday, February 3, 2014

So lets get back to Malifaux...

   So it was another good night at the game room......who am I kidding they are all good nights.  What is better then hanging out with good friends playing games and at the end of the day, that is what we do.  So this week it wasn't even playing Malifaux, I played Kill Zone and two games of Discworld, but I did get some new Malifaux models.
   There have been A LOT of changes to my favorite game over the last year.  They have added whole new factions to the game and altered the rule set dramatically.  Although there are MANY opinions about the new rule set, I enjoy the new game.  If I was asked, which I have not been, I would say it is much easier for a casual gamer can play.  The old ruleset was more complex, and each individual model had many rules that were not often used.  Because of this, you would have to spend a lot of time trying to figure out what you should do versus what you could do.  Many of those options would never be used, as there were always better things to do, but that was a good part of the problem.  Those extra unused options just got in the way on the card and made it that much more confusing to the casual player.  It stopped people in our game group from even trying to play the game.  In the new version, more of the lower level have one or two things they are good at, master have more, but less then they used to.  They also added upgrades which allows a player to add more options to their master, enforcers, and henchmen.  As is usual during these chats, if you want to know more just head to www.Wyrd-Games.net or ask me for a demo game.
   There are seven different factions in Malifaux.  The seven factions are Guild, Arcanists, Resurrectionists, Neverborn, Outcast, Gremlin, and Ten Thunder.  I, like most players, have a primary faction, and collect what I like out of the other factions.  My primary faction is Neverborn.  The crazy creepy models are the best of what Wyrd makes.  After my Neverborn, first master Pandora, I got my first Outcast, Von Shill, followed by my second Outcast master Ophelia, then followed by my first Ten Thunder, Jack Lynch.  He only kinda counts as a Ten Thunder model, since he is a dual master between Ten Thunder and Neverborn.  Every year at Gencon, a big gaming convention, they release a "nightmare" version of a crew.  That is where I got my Guild master Lady Justice.  Then since the new version of Malifaux came out, Ophelia became my first Gremlin master.  Then last night at The Game Room I got Somer Teeth Jones.  He will be my second Gremlin master and one I have wanted for years.  I would like to thank my friend Max for the new semi painted models.  I will enjoy playing with them.
   Somer Teeth Jones is a master who usually play with Bayou Gremlins.  These little guys are a fun mess.  They have an ability to double their damage output as long as they damage themselves by half.  So it makes them die pretty quick, but old Somer Teeth can just summon more.  Makes them a lot of fun to play, and I cant wait to hit the table with the new models.  I am sure I will not get them painted before my first game, but since they ARE assembled, I will be able to play with them soon.  There are a couple of people that I get to play Malifaux with.  One plays primarily Zoraida, so I know that match up will be coming soon, another plays Guild, and I am also looking forward to someone who I have not gotten to play against, Mark from the Through the Breach Podcast.  He will be playing Pandora, and I look forward to facing him with either Von Shill, or Lilith.  I have not gotten to play Lilith at all in second edition yet, so it could be fun to pit those sisters against each other.  But just so it is not a single faction game, I might play Von Shill.
   If I were going to talk about the best thing about the new edition, it would be this.  I could pick ANY  of the masters, get them on the table, and enjoy a game with them.  Almost the same thing with any model that I chose to pick up.  Between reducing the number of things it is possible for a model to do and streamlining the ruleset, they made it FUN for the casual player and that is the biggest change to the game I love.  I can BE casual and still have fun not having to spend hours going over and over my cards to see what they all can do.

   I am going to stop chatting as usual, and wrap this up now.  I am going to work on some pictures for the next blog post so I can start showing modelling and assembly of my crews.  I would love to hear any comments about the blog good or bad.  Thanx for reading...

1 comment: