Monday, January 20, 2014

So what is it about Malifaux

   In my last blog post, I said at the end that I would like to keep writing, so I am continuing to write tonight, and I will just post it sometime soon.
   I know that everyone is really excited to hear more about Malifaux (lol), so here we go.  Malifaux at its most basic is a miniatures game.  What this means is that you buy models that work with the game, and build them, paint them, base them, and then hit the table to play.  So the first thing that jumped out at me are the models.
Quoted from the back of the Malifaux rulebook: "Based in an alternate Earth, Malifaux uses gothic, steampunk, victorian horror with a dose of the wild west to inject fun and depth into the magical lawlessness of a world rife with monsters, necropunks, man-machine hybrids, gunslingers, and power-hungry politicos. Actively using character-driven stories to define the world of Malifaux, seek your fortune in this fast paced and brutal 32mm tabletop miniature skirmish game. Assemble your crew and stake your claim!"
   It was the monsters that drew me into the game.  They are called Neverborn.  The very first model I saw was called Baby Kade.  It is literally a baby wearing a diaper with a little teddy bear in one arm and a knife in the other.  I saw that and had to look into the game.  I got the rules and picked up a full crew.  Once I looked at the rule card, I saw that Baby Kade actually had a power called "The Kid has a Knife".  I have been hooked ever since.
   So to start playing you need anywhere from 6 to 12 models, the rule book, a deck of cards, a tape measure, and a table with some terrain on it.  I could go into a LOT more depth about how you play, but if you really want to know the rules go to the website, or ask me for a demo game.....now don't all rush at once, I have time for you all, single file line!.....A different question that I would like to look at is why this game when there are a large number of other games I could be playing.  Even other skirmish games. 
   For me there are a couple of reasons that I prefer Malifaux over other miniature games that I have played.  The first is that Malifaux uses cards rather than dice.  What this means is that you have your rerolls in your hand.  That doesn't sound like a big deal, but I don't do great with dice, I have some bad luck in that department, and seeing my "rolls" in my hand makes it a better system.
   The second big difference, and the one that is hardest for most game players to deal with, is that even if your crew is wiped out to the man, you can still win the game.  When a player usually played a game, fighting and destroying the other guy's crew is usually a very easy way to win a game.  I can also tell you from a personal perspective that it is also a very satisfying way to win.  In Malifaux, it is the objectives you are working toward and as long as you get the three "mission objectives", called schemes and strategies, complete, you win.

   I am going to wrap this up for this post.  Those are the big two reasons I like Malifaux, and I am sure I will go into more next time.  There is a lot of territory for us to cover yet, even just for Malifaux, let alone the other games I am playing.  I hate to skim these so much for something I love playing, but I am trying to keep these down to a page each.  I will just have to write a bit more often then I planned.  I know, I know, you cant wait.  So looking forward to diving in deeper with you all.....until next time......

 

No comments:

Post a Comment