Wednesday, February 19, 2014

So avatars are out but, lets talk about my masters list first.......


  So lets start with a little chat about avatars.  To be honest I have never actually played an avatar in the game of Malifaux.  I know, I know, here I am writing a blog about a game I love, and I have never actually played an aspect of the game.  Speaking as a fanboy, I just never got into spending that much on a single model no matter what it did.  40-60 bucks a model is out of my price range for a game.  But the actual idea of getting to replace your current master, with a different way to play them just sounds like another interesting aspect of the game.

   Now as something that should have been talked about a long time ago, what masters do I own.  Here is the list along with a little about each master.
  • Pandora - My first love.  She is the master who will kill you with a thousand little cuts.
  • Lilith - Pandora's sister.  She works with terrain to get you with limbs and branches striking at you.
  • Zoraida - The crone - She will take over your models and make you kill your friends.  She is both Neverborn and Gremlin.
  • The Dreamer - The kid and the monster - The dreamer is a small child, and Lord Chompy Bits will appear at his call to fight for him.
  • Collodi - The puppet - A dark Pinocchio who controls dolls and puppets
  • Jacob Lynch - The card shark - A card player who with luck and this totem Huggy owns the board.  He is both Neverborn and 10 Thunder.
  • Von Shill - Hulk Hogan - He is the leader of the Freikorps, a tough group and one I like to start new players with as the whole crew is very straight forward.
  • Dead Justice - Only guild - Lady Justice is the normal version of the guild team box, but every year Wyrd does a "nightmare" crew, and a dead version of the Justice box was from 2012.  Couldn't resist.
  • Ophelia - Gremlin lady - Ophelia is a gremlin version of another guild crew, Perdita's family box.  They are a very shooty crew and are dangerous from range.
  • Som'er Teeth Jones - Another gremlin master who controls his Bayou Gremlins by damaging them to get more damage on attacks.
  • Jack Daw - Hanging Tree - The hanged man on the hanging tree,the patron spirit of Malifaux.
  • Tara - Newest Nightmare - The Herald of Oblivion with burying tricks.
   That makes 15 masters out of 49, if you consider the masters who are multi-faction, like Lynch, Tara, and Zoraida. Now not only will I have how those masters play with and without upgrade, but now I will also have an alternate avatar for each of those masters.  You can see how the game can begin to get VERY complex for something you play one day a week at best.  As I have said before, it is why I am very thankful that they reduced the complexity of the game with the new edition, while giving you more character options of ways to play.  Now that I have written that, it has been the best way of saying WHY I like the new edition more then the old.
   The next master I want to pick up will move me into a new faction.  Once the plastic crew box comes out for Ironsides, the new arcanist master, she will be my next new master.  I do say that not knowing what the new nightmare model or crew that will come out at Gencon, so that could change based on that.  I can also say that if the Brewmaster comes out for the Gremlin faction, I might need that one as well.  The idea of a whiskey golem is just too cool not to pick up.  But I digress, Ironsides is another strong female malifaux master, who also happens to be the Miners and Steamfitters Union knee breaker.  I really like the idea of a woman in that position, and when I get around to painting her, I am going to make sure to get a couple of nice pastels on her just to show that mix that exists for her in my head.
  Strong female characters will be another good topic for a blog post here in a while.  As usual I am coming up with more ideas then posts.  I included the one big shot of my master as I didn't want to throw each individual shot, but as I continue to chat about my masters I will get those shots up also.

   The next few blog posts will be a discussion of each master I have played and how they work for me, along with a discussion of the current avatar upgrades for that master, along with some discussion of any changes to the avatars I have talked about previously.  You will have Von Shill to look forward to as I have played my last few games with him.

   Let me know in the comments what master your have/are playing and how you feel about their avatars. Chat at you again later!!  Thanx for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment